Do you feel uncomfortable on your office chair? One most common reason could be poor height adjustment. The office chair comes in different sizes and shapes. But almost all chairs come with height adjustment features. So, you must know how to make office chair higher.
In this article, we’ll discuss the ways to make office chairs higher. Before knowing these tips and tricks, you must know why it’s essential to adjust the height of an office chair.
Why should you adjust the height of the office chair?
Many people think that working in an office is quite comfortable than working at home. But they could not even imagine the poor health effects that an uncomfortable chair has. Therefore, it’s essential to adjust the height of the chair to the proper height.
A too-low chair means your legs will feel uncomfortable. On the other hand, a too high chair means you have to lean over your working desk, a bad posture. Consequently, you will feel pain in your neck, back, and legs.
Some other issues related to bad posture are:
- Digestive issues
- Poor blood circulation
- Increase in body fat
- Decreased concentration
Nobody wants to have any of these issues. Therefore, adjust your office chair height to the most comfortable position. While adjusting height, the seat angle also matters a lot. Therefore, you must know the right method when it comes to how to make an office chair sit higher.
Here, You Read More About How to raise an office chair without a lever.
How to make office chair sit higher?
Nowadays, it is not difficult to adjust the height of an office chair. The manufacturer of the office chair makes it much easier to adjust the height of the office chair.
In some chairs, you just have to push the lever up to make the chair higher. Likewise, some chairs have screws for height adjustment. You will simply twist the screw anticlockwise and clockwise to increase or decrease the chair height.
Some other chairs have a gas cylinder for easy and quick height adjustment. However, there are chances that you’re How to Make Office Chair Sit Higher may not get adjusted with these tricks. You might need to do some tweaking to have your office chair at a proper height.
Steps to adjust the height of office chair:
Here’re the steps that you should follow to make your office chair higher:
- Firstly, determine which height is suitable for you
- Secondly, check which chair type do you have
- Lastly, choose the right way to adjust the height
Let’s learn about all these steps in detail:
- Determine the suitable height of the office chair
You can determine the suitable height of the office chair by sitting on it. Then, you can decide at what height you feel the most comfortable. It’s the most appropriate height at which you need to adjust your office chair’s height. At this height, the seat edge should be at your knee level.
However, if the chair is not at this height, you need to adjust it. For instance, the chair is high if the waste is above the knee level. Besides, a less than 90⸰ angle at the knees back also indicates a higher chair level and read more How to raise an office chair without a lever.
The height of the chair also depends on the table height on which you’re working. You can check it by simply following these steps:
- Firstly, extend your forearms such that they are horizontal to the ground.
- Secondly, check if your armrests are parallel to your desk.
- Thirdly, check if your wrists are resting naturally
- Lastly, make sure you can type without any stress
If the armrests are parallel to your working desk, your chair is the right height, and how to make office chair sit higher. Otherwise, you must adjust the chair height.
- Check your chair’s type:
The height adjustment method varies based on the type of chair you have. There are three different types of chairs available in the market, including chairs
- with threaded post
- with height adjustment lever
- that don’t have any adjustment method
- Determine the method for height adjustment
If you know your chair’s type, you can identify the right method for height adjustment. Besides, it is also beneficial to determine the level of adjustment you need.
Methods to make the office chair higher
Here we have enlisted the most reliable methods to adjust the chair’s height.
- Lever adjustment
The latest ergonomic office chairs consist of pneumatic cylinders. It’s very easy to adjust such chairs.
You have to engage the lever present on the right side below the seat. For instance, your chair is a bit higher, and you want to lower it. You will simply sit down on it and will apply a downward force.
On the other hand, you will release your body weight if you want to make office chair higher.
- Use wood pieces
So, do you want to adjust the height of the chair by a few inches? In such a scenario, wooden pieces between the chair base and seat are a good option.
However, you need some tools to make this possible. For instance, nuts, screws, and drills are some essential tools.
Here’s the step by step procedure to make the office chair higher with wooden pieces:
- Place the chair upside down such that its base is in an upward direction
- Remove the bottom of the chair with the help of a long screwdriver
- Drill the holes in the wooden pieces. Make sure the wooden pieces are of the size of the chair bottom.
- Position the wooden pieces at the chair bottom
- Make sure the hoes in the wooden pieces and screws in the chair are aligned.
- Allow the screws to pass through the holes in wooden pieces.
- Fix the screws tightly.
This process will help the chair get higher. Keep in mind; you might not be able to control the chair like before. But, you can enjoy a comfortable seat level.
- Adjust the Threaded Posts
It’s time to discuss the height adjustment method for the chair having threaded posts. Follow these steps to make the chair higher:
- Firstly, turn the chair upside down and lubricates the threads present on the seat base.
- Secondly, wipe all the dirt and excessive lubricant from the threads.
- Make sure the chair doesn’t move in any direction.
- Turn the base in an anticlockwise direction to make the chair higher. While rotating the chair, make sure the wheels of the chair don’t move.
- Turn the chair back and check if you’re comfortable with the new chair height.
- Place an extra cushion
One of the easiest ways is to place a cushion on your seat. You can use a pillow or a chair pad.
However, this method has a drawback. Your body will not be aligned with the headrest and lower back support. And your problem will be the same, the uncomfortable chair. Therefore, you must endure that your pillow is not large enough to cause back and neck pain.
To get more, How to Fix an Office Chair that Won’t Stay Up.
- Adjust the height with extension Kit
Height extension kits are the easiest way to raise your office chair. You can install these kits quickly without putting in much effort. Besides, an extra comfortable foot ring e enhances its worth.
Now the question is where you can find these extensions kits. We, you can find them at your local hardware store.
The next question that may hit your brain is how to install an extension kit. Well, it’s not a complicated process. You can follow the steps below to install the kit.
- Firstly, collect all the essential tools such as
- Rubber mallet,
- Adjustable wrench
- The instruction manual of the extension kit
- Now it’s time to strip off the wheelbase. For that purpose, you may have to remove safety pins. You can use a rubber mallet to hit it lightly. After the removal of the wheelbase, you can then install the extension.
- Reinstall the bolts and wheelbase once you have installed the extension
Normally, you can install the extension following these steps. However, we suggest you consult the user manual to see if there is an additional step for your particular chair type.
- Use the casters
You can also raise the office chair’s height by replacing the casters with a bigger one. It’s not hard to find the bigger casters. You can visit any online or local hardware store to find them. While buying the casters, make sure they are made of rubber. Otherwise, they will damage your floor.
- It helps your office chair to roll smoothly
- It doesn’t allow the dirt to enter the chair
When it comes to installing the casters, it is a pretty straightforward process.
- Pull out the office chair casters manually
- Install the new bigger wheels by implanting a metal pin in the plastic socket.
- Make sure wheels are tightly fit in their position.
So, you don’t have to look further to find the answer for how to make office chair higher. You can follow any of the methods mentioned above. But before choosing anyway, you must know the height you want. Besides, the type of office chair also helps in deciding the method for height adjustment. Whatever method you choose, your ultimate goal is seating comfort.